Sunday 27 January 2019

Windy.

Gales. Rain. Cold.  

Got the booking form done for our Annual Visual Art Exhibition and booked the room for the next meeting of the Art Group.  Minutes to do and thats it.  

Took myself off to the Prom.



I sat in the car for a while.  Then thought I need evidence I made it!  So I got out and walked to the railings.  I left the chariot in the car.  It is a lighter weight than my original one and would have been in the sea carried by the wind I am sure.  So minus my prop I made it.  Wild!  But I took photos to prove I had been there!



I now know I can cope with the wind.  Which is good, but today it was so cold.  The rain had been very heavy but there was this brief interlude with just the cold wind.



As the tide came in more the wave were going over the Golden Horn.



Photo by my mate Mark Grant.



Sheltering by the rocks.  Oystercatchers and Blackheaded Gulls.

Just to make myself leave the house, drive, look at the sea, breathe the sea air, never fails to improve my mental equilibrium.



Then it was back to the Shedudio for the Great British Garden Bird Count.  Every year the RSPB ask you do one hour watching and counting your Garden birds.  Usually the hour I choose is a waste of time!  But not too bad this year.




Blue Tit -4.  Coal Tit - 1.   Great Tit - 5.  Goldfinch -16!  Chaffinch -  4. Blackbird - 3.  Dunnock -1.  Tree Sparrow - 20.  House Sparrow - 20.  Crow - 2.  Normally we would have a few more but in the hour that was it.



                           

Not much room left!

Then - despite saying I was not going to start anything new......



A Short Eared Owl.

And a Sparrow Hawk which didnt visit today.




My own photograph.  Sitting on the fence across the road from our house.

Just it's face in the sun.

Hopefully a good image of what is to come weather wise!

3 comments:

Debi said...

It is amazing, what a day breathing in the sea air can do.I so envy you living this close to the sea!I love your photos of the birds,xx

Jean. said...

The other day I watched a flock of pigeons fly in and land in my oak tree, I counted 35.
A week ago I was down the garden and a flock of 9 long tailed tits landed in the pussy willow bush I was gathering twigs from. Easy to count as they were all there at once. However, if you are doing the bird watch for an hour and watching them come to your feeders, how do you know that you have seen twelve bluetits, and not the same two coming back six times each? It does make me wonder how accurate the count is.

mamasmercantile said...

The rain here has been torrential, thankfully the wind has abated in the short term anyway. Great starts Gill, looking forward to watching your progress.