Wednesday 16 January 2019

A day of Gloom.

The morning and most of the day was gloomy, dark and raining incessantly.  But there was no wind (though there is now!)  So I went to the Prom.  

Gobsmacked.  

The sun, the sun?


I did think I must be hallucinating.


But no.


Hardly anyone on the beach.  All tucked up at home looking out at the gloom.


Not much surf but there had been a surfer.  As he went past I commiserated with him.  He offered me a go!  I told him that many years ago I did surf.  Although it was in a warmer place when I lived in Cornwall.


Another painting!


Back home to the gloom.  No sun inland.  In the Shedudio I removed the clingfilm.  (Yes, Briony, you take it off.)  


Then the same,  paint, then add clingfilm, this time on the right side.  Leave it to dry.

You pinch, push the clingfilm and the paint moves underneath.  You can do vertical pushes as in this case, or horizontal or whatever you want.  Great fun.  You can then do different colour onto bits to emphasise a shape.  Paint on top with a darker colour.  Remember I use watercolour.  It may work with Acrylic paint but not a medium I am comfortable with altho I have used it.  

There are lots of other ways of adding different effects.  Salt sprinkled on to wet paint does amazing things.  I use salt when painting rocks.  There are videos on YouTube but I find them boring.  Much more fun is to just try it!

More gloom tonight.  The to be expected vote of no confidence in the government lost to a narrow majority. So its back to more of the same....

The weather is worsening now, strong winds, snow and ice forecast for tomorrow.  But I shall still go to the Prom.  You never know when the sun may come out!

6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Wow, the cling film is so impressive, what a great effect. The wind is picking up here too and we have incessant rain. Glad you are still managing to get out.

Patty said...

What a lovely day after all!
Your deer painting is beautiful! Interesting how you use cling film for special effects. It looks brilliant!

Bovey Belle said...

Love that cling film look - very effective. We had rain yesterday too so I was inside sewing instead of outside clearing out the outbuildings. So glad you had sunshine - you know that old saying, the sun shines on the righteous!!

crafty cat corner said...

The more I see your paintings, the more I fancy having a go. I used to paint with acrylic and oil but always found water colour tricky, that is once we get sorted here with Tom.
We live on the coast and often when we look inland there are black clouds and yet the sun will be shining on us.
Briony
x

wherethejourneytakesme said...

We had a wet gloomy day yesterday but have woken up to brilliant sunshine and icy conditions. The sun however is glinting on the frozen droplets of water.
I knew about the salt effect but not the cling film.
I heard on Newsnight that Jeremy had no option but to table the vote of no confidence but actually being landed with sorting out the dirty laundry of someone else would not have been an easy ride for him. I hope they will now get together as promised and listen to all the groups that wish to be heard. One of my concerns is for the legislation on things like animal welfare - I may not eat them but I do want their travel conditions to stay protected in future and have been campaigning for this. Also our food - I don't want to revert to finding goodness knows what as an additive and lastly having the choice to be able to continue using Homeopathy and remedies as they work for me. Also I may not be able to get my lifesaving Thyroxine - I can only take one brand without side effects (because of the different fillers used) and I think they come from Europe - if they do the NHS will not buy them in as they will be too expensive. As far as I can tell there is nothing in place for a whole host of things once we withdraw completely and that is worrying.
I still say bring in Elton John!!! someone needs to save us all.

Mum said...

Bring on the sun. I keep my fairy lights on in January to combat the gloom and so far there hasn't been any. The sun is shining here today even though it's cold.
xx