Thursday 22 November 2018

Onwards and upwards.

Hour long drive to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.  In pouring rain.  I am sure some years back lorries had to have special wheel flaps to stop spray?  It was awful.  Totally blinded when you went past one or vice versa.


It is a very big hospital.


Miles of corridors.  I had to smile that the Respiratory department was the furthest I had ever walked at ARI!  Or on the Prom! (But then there was no wind or rain!!)

Staff all amazing.  Everything explained.  I had to have blood taken from an artery in my wrist.  Arteries apparently move around and are difficult to get at with a needle.  Hmm. 3 goes including two from a doctor.   As the nurse had to admit defeat.  It hurts far more than extracting blood from a vein.  The blood is then put into a machine which gives oxygen and CO2 levels.  More accurate than the finger clothes peg effort.

Guess what - it was in the tolerances for someone at my stage of COPD.  I just felt relief!  

I had to march up yet another corridor with the peg on me finger then sit and she watched the oxygen level  go back up and it went back to where the machine had put it.

So - advice given.  I have to pace myself!  Slow down.  Who me?  Do breathing exercises on a regular basis, without raising or using shoulders which is counter productive.....  I know but its difficult.  Other than that I am doing everything right, the pulmonary exercises, getting out and walking, having stopped smoking, even my art they were impressed with.  Did I feel I wanted any medication for depression.... Do not want to go there.

We set off from home at 10 a.m.  We had lunch on the way home, just on the edge of Aberdeen and were home for 3.30 p.m.  Oh, we also had a quick visit to a garden centre to buy a new plastic covered table cloth for my work table.  One has to have a reward for being good.  Pictures tomorrow.

Here I am having me lunch.  A bacon sandwich.  Ahhhhh.



Absolutely shattered!  But now I can just get on with it!!

Bruised but thats not going to stop me.  Tomorrow the Prom, tonight,


10 comments:

Athene said...

Well that's good news. Must admit I have been wondering why someone who might be in need of oxygen has to travel such a long way for an appointment, but I suppose it's the sort of assessment they can't do at home. Glad to hear the result. I really admire your determination - and your art.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

Shame they don't do home visits but at least you have been given good news and good advice to help with the breathing.
I expect you will be pacing yourself tonight with that bottle of wine!

DUTA said...

Very good pictures! your sandwich looks delicious, your haircut lovely,
the hospital impressive (may you not need it)!

Chris said...

Positive outcome - well worth the aggravations of the trip, I'd say!

kjsutcliffe said...

Glad that ordeal is over, that you do not need O2, that you had a bacon sarnie and that you are home and there is always the Prom and vitamin Sea.

Anonymous said...

good for you!!! Sounds pretty good,, you just have to keep doing what youre doing,, good news,,

lynney62 said...

As a RN of 40+ years....Yes, arterial sticks are quite painful...the walls of an artery are a bit thicker and deeper than those of a vein, and arterial walls have more nerves, which results in quite a bit more pain during the stick..the walls of a vein has very minimal nerve endings..when doing an arterial stick I always gave a small local of Lidocaine first to the site....Yes, an extra stick, but oh my, it helped my patients a lot.
So happy for you as it sounds like your exam brought good results...So, as you often say, moving right on...hey ho :) Take care...I have one of your great pics of Sith Cat as my Desktop...Everyday, I just have to smile when I open my laptop! Thank you! :)

Catriona said...

Breat news Jill and I love the new hair do. Keeeeep painting!

hart said...

You are so brave with all those needles!

mamasmercantile said...

Such good news, I am thrilled for you. Enjoy your little treat you deserve a glass or two after that ordeal.