Wednesday 26 September 2018

Keep Breathing!


Peterhead Hospital, about 15 miles away.  This is where we went today to see the Consultant.  Far better than to Aberdeen which is much further and busier and bigger.

I am always amazed that despite the cut backs in the health service everyone is so helpful and pleasant.  

Chest x ray first, which I wasnt expecting.  (I didnt know what to expect!)  

Then to the waiting room.  Then the Nurse did the height, weight, oxygen levels checks.  Then the blow job.  Which my local nurse had said I hadnt to do any more as it would damage my lungs.  I survived.  

Eventually the Consultant.  Very thorough.  Prodded poked.  Listened to chest.  Listened to heart.  Examined parts I did not know were relevant, but all explained as she went along.  It helped that there was a trainee in the room!  I might not have had all the explanations otherwise.  

Right - so where do we go from here.  

I am to have a body scan to see if there is a blood clot in my lung and a scan on my fat leg to see if there is one there, she doesn't think there is in either but obviously has to rule it out. If there is its blood thinning drugs. 

The scans have to be done at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.  A place I know well but do not enjoy the journey to get there.  Over an hour.

 We talked about Pulmonary Emphysema.  Possible.  Damage to heart as it works harder due to damaged lungs. Becomes damaged itself and doesnt circulate stuff round body properly which causes fat leg.  (I owned up to having googled this!)

The Oxygen Team will be contacting me and coming to test me at rest, after me doing something physical, and say whether oxygen therapy is for me.

The consultant is also considering putting me on long term antibiotic to try and break the cycle of repeat chest infections.

I then go back to see her in late November/December.

Well sorry to go on at length. The DP and I were both whammied when we came out and got in the car.  

 It has taken me some hours to remember it all and now have got it down 'on paper'.  I doubt at the end of the day anything will change.  It was so nice to not be just told well thats it buggar off.  So I shall battle on.  

I got to the Prom.  Got my sanity, my vitamin sea, and a short walk.



Drizzle, overcast, not much wind though.  And not as cold.



Large boat on the horizon.



Lobster Fishing boat coming hame.




As was our Lifeboat - zooming in.

Thanks to you all for being with me on this -  do hope I am not being boring, do tell me if I am.

Back to normal tomorrow.  So long as I keep breathing!  

12 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

I've been thinking of you today Jill. Well, as you said, they still seem to think they can help, and get to the bottom of what is causing your fat leg, and there is still treatment and you're still on your feet and drawing breath.

I do hope you don't have a blood clot anywhere. If it's Pulmonary Emphysema, is there treatment for that?

I had a long-term antiobiotic suggested at one point as I had repeating chest infections for 3 years - not helped by the fact the GP didn't take a sputum test to see what was causing them. Only when I saw a switched-on Locum did THAT happen!

It sounds like you saw a good Consultant today, so let's hope that something positive comes from it.

Glad you got some fresh air afterwards to blow away the Hospital Blues.

Athene said...

Never boring, it's always interesting to see your day. I hope there's something else they can do for you, to improve things and prevent the chest infections.

Anonymous said...

Not at all. being an asmathic, always interested in any sort of treatment. You are a very brave and courages lady.

Love
Sue Grant.

Joan (Devon) said...

Sounds like a thorough examination, Jill. All examinations for people with a chronic illness should be that thorough, unfortunately they aren't. I hope something positive comes for you with regards to treatment including your leg/foot.

Penny said...

Not bored at all. Just a small insight into your life and problems, mine seem insignificant compared to yours. Like your outlook on it all.

Mollysmum said...

Dear Jill, It must have been a very tiring day for you. Please just take some deep breaths of that lovely sea air, the best tonic.

Susan Heather said...

It is always good to get a consultant who explains things (even if it was for the benefit of a trainee). A pity you will have a long trip for further checks but I hope they find something that can be fixed for you. It amazes me how much you manage to get done.

mamasmercantile said...

You were in my thoughts so I am glad that you had a positive experience and the consultant seemed thorough. So nice that you were able to go to the prom, to clear your head.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

Fingers crossed for the upcoming scan and that blood clots can be ruled out. Sounds like you need a booster pump like our boiler!! Good to know the consultant is looking at everything and trying to manage what they can to improve your general health.
I am sure the sea air must be as good a remedy as anything and of course your cosy shedudio. Take care.
PS Not boring us at all, it is lovely to see the prom each day it is like having a CCTV. Even better when we get to see the progress of a new picture. Of course your daily ups and downs are the bits that make this blog you.

Bea said...

Glad they're not giving up on you!
I thought of you this afternoon as we watched a buzzard being seen off by a sparrowhawk over our suburban garden. Probably the same sparrowhawk that head-butted our patio window yesterday.
Hugs x

Mum said...

The merry-go-round of tests and consultants is always wearisome and tiring and seemingly never ending. Stick with it - your consultant seems very thorough. You just have to go with the flow. Let your trips to say hello to the sea keep you sane. Breathe in deeply and slowly and enjoy the beautiful scenery and sights.
xx

Unknown said...

You're very pragmatic,never complain and you make the most of things,so no-you're not"going on".
I love your artwork!! Do you do commissions?I keep rescue buns and would love a painting/sketch of one of them.
Enjoy the simple things,your Shudeio is beautiful,a real sanctuary.

Ann Marie