Wednesday 28 November 2012

Ups and Downs.


Further to my, earlier this week, post, this is probably a far more realistic set of pictures of what it is really like to bring your bit of fish to your plate.

The Harvester, aptly named, attempts to harvest the seas for your fish supper.







This is one of todays 'state of the art' fishing boats.  The pictures are courtesy of the Daily Mail, and the photographer, name in the corner of the pics, who must have been equally tossed about the troughs and the highs of the seas in another boat taking the photographs!  

Imagine, if you will , being in another era and still heading out to farm the seas.


A Puffer (steam powered.)




And earlier, sail.  All went out in the same weather and encountered the same challenges.  Albeit these last two pictures are taken with a calm sea, in harbour, but where were they heading?  Then, they had no satnav, no radar, no weather forecasts, but out they went.  And met the same high seas, the same deep troughs, and, mostly, came back safely to port.

Tis amazing.  They , the fishermen, are a different breed.  

I sometimes visit the Seamens Mission, there I meet with the Geriatric Mafia Crafting Gang, but sometimes, I just lean backwards and listen to the talk of the retired fishermen who also come in for their craik and banter and cup of tea.  Wonderful people.

So - back to normality, well my normality.  Wednesday morning art group and we are all still struggling with perspectives and verticals and horizontals, mainly round here the only horizontal you can count on is the sea, that's always level on the horizon, thank god, otherwise we would be fleeing to the mountains.  

Another worry for me,  is I do not ever get to grips with the sun setting and rising in different places depending on what time of year it is, and I dont care how many times it gets explained about the tilt of the earth....

the other is when you drive down a road and you see the sea apparently higher than the road you are driving down...why does it not therefore flood towards you?

As it does not, ever, I do not get too worried about it.

And finally, or have you all pressed the delete button?  I continue with my exciting journey down the wet into wet painting and have done this Birthday Card for my Granddaughter who will be one on Friday.    She and her parents have had a rough ride during this first year so my choice of elephants is to pray for tough hides for us all.


And for you if you feel the need, and having ups and downs.



8 comments:

50 and counting said...

My granda was a trawlerman. He started in Eyemouth and moved north to Aberdeen. I remember his taking me to the old fish market as a child and he told us how hard it was to bring those fish in.

He took my father to sea when he was 15 to convince him that an apprenticeship would lead to a better life.

He went to tradeschool.

I don't think enough people realize what other go through to provide for them

Unknown said...

My goodness... I'd be terrified on those boats ... like you say ..a different breed.

Just love the elephants ...how talented you are ...I'm hopeless at anything like that.

Vicky x

Anonymous said...

this was such an interesting post , the photos are amazing, and the elephants are amazing, love the wet on wet looseness

justjill said...

Laurie, I take that from you as a real compliment. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I wouldn't last a second on a fishing boat. Good thing I don't eat fish!

Your elephants are simply lovely. Although I expect they would be very scared of my wee timorous beastie.

BadPenny said...

so brave then & now to bring us our fish supper. Superb ellies especially the baby - so sweet

Mum said...

Looking at the top few pictures, I'm trying to keep my tea down. Great post.
Love from Mum
xx

Annie Cholewa said...

Those top four pics are incredible ... brave photographer!