Wednesday 5 December 2012

Christmas Crafting.

At the Seamens Mission on Tuesday morning the Crafters gathered.  We learned how to make gift boxes and bags at a fraction of the cost one would pay in the shops.



Certain people who consider themselves totally inept at any craft found themselves successful!


Including me.  On the left is a gift box made from a Christmas Card, on the right a gift box made from patterned paper.



You make the top from the front of the card, and the bottom of the box from the back.  Seemple.

Should anyone want to know how I could do a blog on how easy this is, and you can make whatever size, depth that you would require.  Thanks to Isobel Gregory for this one.  We were also showed an amazing way to make bows, but this was from a kit and I didnt take it all in, being too involved in listening to Judith who made the triangular box, which you can hang from the Christmas Tree.  Wow, these ladies are amazing, so many simple ideas, which my brain felt like it was going pop.

So that was yesterday. 

Today was my sixth day without the Dawn Patroller, who is playing at being Santa Claus and travelling the length and breadth of the UK.  Friday he was in Edinburgh with eldest daughter, partner and grandsons.  Saturday and Sunday he had the settee at 3rd daughters and granddaughter and Daddy Dan in Lincoln, celebrating our granddaughters 1st birthday.  Monday he was in Sheffield, eventually, after being turned back by the police due to treacherous weather on the Pennines, Tuesday was Manchester , daughter number 2 and partner, and today back in Edinburgh with daughter 4.  Tomorrow I am hoping he is back in time for the Best of Banffshire and Buchans Bed and Breakfast Christmas Lunch. Particularly as the restaurant have promised me a bottle of red wine.  And if I have to drive.....no wine. 


It has not been easy without the Dawn Patroller.  For one thing I have to feed the garden birds.  This involves soaking porridge, toast crusts, cat biscuits not eaten by cats, along with filling up peanut feeders, sunflower seeds, fat balls, wild bird seed, et al.

Also, another story which involves many discussions with plumber, topping up the central heating boiler with water twice a day.  But each time I skip out of the house, early morning in jimjams and slippers, fully dressed late p.m. to top up the boiler, I encounter this wee chap.  And of course he gets a good handful of bird seed just for him.  I just love Robins, so friendly.

This afternoon was my usual stint at the Lighthouse Museum.  Gary, the manager, is now supposed to be on annual leave.  But of course in he comes with the dogs, just checking.


Snow today,  strong winds, and very cold.  But it is Winter!

I polished the lenses in the Museum, and hummed the Gilbert and Sullivan Opera, Polished up the...... - all part of the Christmas Crafting.  You just want the sparkle dont you!

8 comments:

scrumptious days said...

I love your posts. They always make me smile. I hope Santa returns safely tomorrow. Next year he can set out with lots of beautiful boxes:-)
Jude x

Anonymous said...

Hope Santa gets home on time. Please, please do us a post about how to make the boxes! :) xxx

BadPenny said...

Hope Santa arrives home to take you out !

Mum said...

Yep, we need a box tutorial. Both box and robin are great. Hope Santa arrives back in time.
Love from Mum
xx

busybusybeejay said...

Please show us how to do boxes.Am I right in counting four daughters and how many grandchildren.I have only just started following your blog and am being nosy!!

justjill said...

Santas back - with a cold so is banished to spare bedroom. I will do a box blog. Welcome busybusybeejay, yes four daughters and 3 grandchildren. All far away :(

Marjorie said...

I love reading your blog, thank you. I would love to meet an English Robin, they are so pretty. The ones in North America are actually thrushes. I want to learn how to make a box. Christine sent me a card with a painting by a Scottish artist and I want to preserve it and a little box would be perfect.

justjill said...

Hi Marjorie, let me know if the blog is any good re boxes. Who was the artist?