Wednesday 17 May 2017

I Shall Wear Purple.


When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple. 





10 comments:

Athene said...

Matches the glasses - love it. And I love that poem, too

SandyExpat said...

Your hair suits you and I like your glasses. A good change.

Gail, northern California said...

Adorable.
I agree; the color suits you.
Did your joiner finish the job and that was your cause for celebration?

Mum said...

Green next week?
xx

PS What size is your mobile phone? :)

Attila said...

It looks great, especially with the glasses.

Grammy Braxton said...

I love it! Go for what makes you happy, I say.

Hugs,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

That poem is one of my favourites!! Love your hair, and your glasses.
Myra, from Winnipeg, Canada

Anonymous said...

your hair is indeed cool, as i ticked..it's fabulous! i am anonymous, alas.

kjsutcliffe said...

Just need to get the red hat now! Looks good with the glasses :)

Marjorie said...

Love your hair colour. Well done !