Thursday 14 June 2018

During Storm Hector.

The strangest thing about Hector was that the wind/gale/70 mph gusts was actually warm.  I am not used to warm wind although I am used to wind....

The DP was away for most of the day on a bird watching jaunt with the RSPB members group to Newburgh and the Ythan Estuary.


One of the DP's photos from today is this group of Eider Ducks, whence from were obtained feathers to make one's eiderdown.  This group, each year, are visited by Elvis, top left, who is a King Eider and quite famous round here.  As in, "Has Elvis arrived yet."

So I decided, after looking at the weather forecast, it would be sensible for me to go to the Prom before lunch instead of after.  But once down there it was blowing a hooley and raining, so I came home again.

To the shedudio and watched the trees and plants being horizontal instead of vertical.



Cherry Tree and bird feeders in wind and rain.


Loosestrife and White Campion, normally vertical.  Not today.


Ornamental Poppies blowing in the wind.


And the Allium that did not survive.  Hope it dries ok.

I discovered I could feed Mr and Mrs Dyson Pheasant by opening the new window and wanging the seed out for them.  Without getting wet.  But later I did manage to fill up - and replace - the hanging feeders.


Later in the day as the wind eased we had visits from Mr Woodpecker and then Mrs, so presumably they have hatched a young one or two.


Hector has almost gone and the forecast for tomorrow indicates I will be able to Promenade.  Next week the joiner is to return and complete the inside insulation to the shedudio.  The DP will then do the painting inside and out.  Then I can plan my open studio weekend!  All good.

Hope I have finished some of the work in progress by then.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have strong winds here as well today,, the photos are beautiful,, what lovely ducks, your paintings are really looking wonderful!

Susan Heather said...

That does look a strong wind. Glad it has eased.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I thought of you when they said about storm Hector, glad you and the Studio ( too posh now for the shed bit I reckon!) survived

Bovey Belle said...

We just had a bit of a breeze and a light rainfall overnight (phew for no gale, but could have done with a better soaking).

Still, this year I don't mind watering round as everything is looking so beautiful and I am in Gardening Mode. The last couple of years I REALLY lost heart as we had poor summers and by the time I had got through the June pollen, I just couldn't get on top of all the work that needed doing.

Beth Backus said...

This woodpecker was on our back deck Tuesday--we're in the middle of Indiana, USA, in a suburb of Indianapolis.

Woodpecker Pic.jpg

Penny said...

Love reading your blog and seeing your photos. Wish I could paint like you. Penny from far away South AUSTRALIA.