Sunday 17 March 2019

Independence.

Thanks to the COPD I can do less and less.  But I can still drive, take out the chariot from the car and put it back in again.  Then go anywhere I want, although it is usually the Prom!  But theoretically I could go anywhere.  That is my independence.

After lunch today I headed off to the Prom.  Halfway up the road the car died.  Engine still running but no revs.  I managed to reverse into a field. Then couldn't get out of it as no revs.  Engine off.  Started,  revs,  got out of the field.  And so it went on.  The DP came out read the rule book of the car, ignition or something, you can keep going.  This time there was a symbol on the dash.  So I got home in fits and starts.  The symbol disappeared.  My stupidity appeared.  I decided to set off again.  The car stopped.  10 mph was max, got home.  The DP then took me to the Prom.  For my vitamin Sea fix.


The weather was appalling.  High winds, rain, hail, gloom.



One man and his dog away in the distance.  No other humans or dogs.



Wild sea.


Oystercatchers by the rocks.

Then we came home.

Our garage is across the field from our house.  It is Sunday.  So I messaged to explain what had happened with my car.  Just hoping I would get a message back to say bring it in tomorrow morning.

This evening we were watching Waking the Dead, I think I have about twelve taped!!  7.30 p.m. Pitch black and wind howling and rain.  Door bell.  And there was my garage man!  Me in my jamas...  He had a quick look, at the car not at me.  Said bring it in tomorrow I can plug it in to something or other and get a diagnosis of the problem.

How wonderful is that??????????  My independence looms again.

11 comments:

Terra said...

I like your phrase "my vitamin sea fix". I get that daily too, along the Pacific Ocean. I hope your car gets fixed quickly.

Chris said...

Car problems are the worst! Hope it gets fixed easily and you have your independence back.

The Weaver of Grass said...

That's the benefit of always using the same garage and also of living in a small place. And its a big benefit too as far as I am concerned. Sounds as though you feel just the same. Weather set to warm up and be drier this week, so we should enjoy.

Jean. said...

Amazing. You must have a different breed of workmen up there, quick and obliging window fitter/ insulator for the Shedudio, hedge fellers, and a mechanic. We have to wait ages for a workman to come and look at a job, and then they can't start for weeks, even months. As for a Sunday visit, no chance.

Jules said...

Wow! That's not bad service. I hope the issue is quickly resolved and your independence back. X

mamasmercantile said...

Here's hoping it will be a quick and not too expensive fix and you will be back on the road.

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

At the first sign of car trouble my instant thoughts are why on earth did I not marry that nice car mechanic that asked me out in my teens - would have been sorted now!
Hope your nice garage man can fix it - that is service for you - typical of Scotland though - we have had similar service from plumbers up there on a Sunday with no call out charge. Down here they would charge just to answer the phone.

kjsutcliffe said...

Wow - what service!

Elaine said...

You are lucky to have wonderful friends to help you. I love your beach pictures. Do you have sea shells on the Scottish coast? We have a lot here in Florida. I visited the west coast of California once and didn't see any sea shells there. Each ocean is different. Take care

Bovey Belle said...

I hope you can get the chariot working again soon and get your independence back. You are lucky to have such a caring garage being so quick off the mark.

I hope the stormy weather soon departs - getting fed up with it now. I expect you are too.

BethB from Indiana said...

My first thought was, "Geez, you can't get a break," and then you did! How wonderful to have a caring mechanic. We always use the same small, independent garage, and the owner always answers the phone himself. I'm not sure he'd make house calls, though.