Monday 29 October 2018

Surreal day.

This morning I was at the GP surgery seeing the nurse who has been dressing my ankle pressure sore for some weeks.  I have had iodine patch applied and plaster.  The plaster has caused me more annoyance than the pressure sore.  But today she announced it had closed and then applied padding and a sock thing.



I have no idea how long to leave it on, I assume I can get washed there and then put it back, but just as I was about to ask I was informed my GP wanted me to have an ECG.  What for?  Because the Consultant had asked for it.  Well, nobody told me.

So on the bed 17 electrodes!  17...  Felt a bit like Frankenstein.

Still none the wiser it was back into the waiting room before I saw the Asthma Nurse.  Now I do not have asthma but she also knows about COPD.  The DP came with me on this visit.  He hadnt got over the shock of me having an ECG either.

I was then informed I was to have a low dosage long term antibiotic.  Well no-one had mentioned this to me before.  Apparently research has shown this can be very helpful to severe COPD patients.  Right.  I was also advised re the Oxygen Team , who would be contacting me, but she didn't know when.  And blah blah.  By this time I was in brain meltdown.  Should I not have had a consultation with the GP going over all these things?  Anyway the nurse said to go to the chemist and the prescription for the low dose antibiotics would be there.

So we went and it wasn't.  The Pharmacy phoned the surgery, the prescription was sitting there to be signed once the doctor had seen the ECG results.  The surgery would phone us when it was all done.

The DP and I went and looked at the sea.  It is still there.  We came home.  Had lunch.  Then I hit Google big time.

Lots of research has been done into this low dose long term antibiotic.  It appears to have many pluses and no minuses.  So after my initial reluctance to take antibiotics when I am not ill has dissipated.  Apparently one has to have another ECG after the first month and this ECG is about how the heart reacts.  Irregular heart beats... I am going to re read everything tomorrow, when a bit more of it might go in and stay in.  

Still in shock as I had no idea any of this was going to happen.  First time I have not been happy with my GP.  Having nurses gabble at me gaily is neither use nor ornament.  My GP is straight and gives me proper answers to me questions.

Hope for a better day tomorrow.





Now getting lots of Pheasants visiting, the two above were part of a group of four.

Super Autumn colours on the lane behind the shedudio, between us and our neighbours, and our neighbours Autumnal colours.  Night night.

7 comments:

crafty cat corner said...

I have a friend who is on permanent low dose antibiotics and it keeps her recurrent UIT's at bay.
I know only too well about the surgery using so called 'nurse practitioners' and I do not like it myself.
I'm sure you must get fed up with Doctors and hospitals, we do..
Best of luck with the aspirin, who knows it might just make things more comfortble for you.
Briony
x

justjill said...

Thanks Briony, but where is my comment about aspirin? Never taken aspirin!

Anonymous said...

I know it must feel like a blow yo have so much thrown at you with no warning, but sounds like it might be a positive, I’m glad the sea is still there ,🙈 lol, you have best sense of humour through it all,

mamasmercantile said...

My goodness that must have come as a shock antibiotics and an ECG without any warning but on a positive note thankfully the sore has healed. Beautiful Autumnal colours from the trees.

Joyful said...

I think the low dose antibiotics will help you but I can certainly understand how shocking it must be to be hit with all these things unexpectedly. It really irks me when I don't know what is going on, especially with my health. Your photos are lovely. Glad you enjoyed the walk.

Sue in Suffolk said...

When Col had all the heart problems before the Non Hodgkins he was told a laying down ECG was a complete waste of time!!

Hopefully the low dose antibiotics will keep the gremlins away and help you to keep well

Bovey Belle said...

Oh gosh - I can imagine this was all quite a shock to the system. It was mooted at one stage (when I had recurrent chest infections) that I go on a permanent low dose antibiotic, but fortunately I changed GP's (and surgeries) and got proper treatment for the infections (e.g. sputum test for starters to see WHAT sort of beast the infection was!)

A positive - your ankle ulcer has closed, so onwards and upwards with that.

The sudden ECG would be scary. I had to have one as my resting heart rate is so low (48), and then the (stupid) Dr announced I had had a heart attack at some point in the past. Eeek! You can imagine the effect that had. Anyway, I hadn't and my slow heart is just part of me (had this all checked out in Hospital).

Anyway, I hope that it will all sort out in the wash and that they will actually discuss things with you in future (eg. your GP that is!) so you aren't suddenly shoved into shock mode.