Sunday 18 November 2018

Birds.

Most people who read my blog know I love birds.  Although my facebook page on my art is called Buchan Birds and Beasts, there are far more birds than beasts get onto the drawing board.  Reasons are I can see birds when I go to the beach.  I can also see birds from the shedudio window.  Little effort required for either beach or shedudio.  The Beasts I have to use others photographs from which to paint.

So lets go to the Prom.



Sunday is a day for dog walkers, so not that many birds are left undisturbed.



At the waters edge are Oystercatchers.




Redshank.




Both birds I have painted many times and never tire of portraying them.



Back home.  Until we are sure the rats are no longer in our garden we have cut back on feeding the birds.  This dish of seed is put down while I am in the Shedudio and then removed.  Pleased to say the birds are still there and our offering remains popular.  One of the Great Tits.





Coal Tits.





Blue Tits.



Robin.

We have many Goldfinch and their Niger seed is still out on a hanging feeder.  The very tiny seed that drops would not be noticed by a rat.  Nor the peanut feeder as there is little of them that falls to the ground.  Once the boxes with the poison in is no longer being taken we will know we have said farewell,  for a while,  to the rats, and can return to feeding everything.  Which will be good as winter draws in.

Today we had a visit from a Tree Creeper, which eats insects, grubs etc from the trees.





As I walked back up to the house there were masses of Pink Footed Geese returning to roost at Strathbeg Bird Reserve.  Should have done a video as they are quite loud!  Magical.



Meanwhile here is a beast progressing on the drawing board.



Brown Hare.

7 comments:

crafty cat corner said...

Great to see the Tree Creeper, I've only seen these a couple of times.
Briony
x

rusty duck said...

We have also had to cut down on feeding the birds, on account of the tree rats (squirrels). I wish it wasn't like this, I so miss the birds! The pheasant was back today. I think maybe the original Ptolemy as he spent a good deal of time in his old haunt, underneath the bird table.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos! I understand your chosen subjects to paint,
I paint what I see as well,
I lived fifty years in the woods, forty miles from a city and painted all the forest around me and it’s creatures, now finding my self in the city I am a fish out of water but thankfully hold the memories safe in my minds eye,
I paint mostly from memory now,
I enjoy your work very much,

Jean said...

Lovely to see the Tree Creeper, I've only ever seen one once. May I ask why you put the bird food on the ground? My bluetits, great tits, robins etc feed from a hanging seed feeder, or a dish which attaches to it. Other birds feed on a stone bird table. We have cats and so do our neighbours, we live In the countryside, and also don't mind the squirrels who come to feed. I would be afraid that putting food on the ground would not only encourage rats but would make the birds vulnerable to attack by other animals. Hope you don't mind me asking.

Jackie said...

You get some lovely feathered visitors.

God bless.

MarleneS said...

I know you love birds as do I, I have never seen a tree creeper so thankyou for sharing your photo, I have the bird feeders and bird table and also a ground feeding tray I put it away a few hours before it gets dark so the birds can go around picking up any waste, it is hard to keep without any bird food/seed waste hear what with feeding wild birds, keeping aviary birds and chickens, so we have a few rat traps around, we no someone who lost all his aviary birds because of rats, I think they had heart attacks because of the fright, so we are not risking that, we love are birds far more than rats.

mamasmercantile said...

Great progress on the hare.