Saturday 1 September 2018

Saturday.

Getting on to an even keel.

I was still tired this morning.  Despite the long list of things I have to do I did none.

After lunch to the Esplanade.  Thats the Proms posh name and on all the sign posts.



The tide was coming in.






This young man and friends were taking part in a Blackening.


Blackening is a traditional wedding custom performed in the days or weeks prior to marriages in rural areas of Scotland.[1]
The bride and/or groom are 'captured' by friends and family, covered in food, or a variety of other - preferably adhesive - substances, then paraded publicly for the community to see.

This is my first experience of a male blackening.  Women have far more of them and are more noisy.

He appeared to be covered in baked beans mainly.  And not really having much fun.  His trainers went in the bin.
There were some small fishing boats.

Mackerel fishing.

Redshank.  Also fishing.


My all time favourite, Oystercatcher.

This post has been a struggle as my laptop appears to have taken over various controls.  Be back when I have sorted it or binned it.  Whoever invented Windows 10 has a lot to answer for.  Apologies for any bad bits I cannot enter any commas as it just scrolls down, every time I try to insert.  Good night.  

5 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

Hopefully when you do the switch off and switch back on thing it will all be OK again!

Terra said...

That is fascinating about the custom of blackening, a new one to me.

Mum said...

I read all and understood all. Baked beans are better on toast.
xx

Bovey Belle said...

Hope your computer is being more helpful today Jill.

Like Terra, I've never heard of a blackening before, but what fun (unless you're the poor sod being blackened of course!)

Rosie said...

An interesting custom of Blackening, doesn't look like a lot of fun either. We have Bucks Night here, friends of the groom get him drunk then sometimes tie him to street signs or similar, often with little clothing on! This practice is not as common now as it used to be 40 years ago, and I can understand why. Humans do some strange things, wildlife is much more interesting.