Monday 27 November 2017

Pulmonary Physio.

Weather report.  Dark, cold, 39 mph winds, frequent hail showers/downpours. GO AWAY..

This afternoon was my regular check in with my physiotherapist.  I have a set of exercises to do to keep my lungs working.  I am supposed to do them every other day.  Some days I just do not feel up to it, but I manage at least 3 to 4 in a 7 day period.  I have a 'diary' to keep and write in how many of each exercise and whether the breathing was at the 3 level, recommended or 4 which is not.  3 is where your lungs are pushed.  4 is too much.  If you want to know more google it.  If you are affected by lung problems go for Pulmonary physio.  You can self refer.

Quad exercise.  I have weights on each ankle.  I do 22 on each leg before I become breathless.


Arms.  Why these women look so smiley I know not.  I find this one a killer.  Raise weights above head, out to front, then to side.  Thats one.  I do 8 of the set.  I then have to sit down and play a game of solitaire.

Step ups.  This is testing how imminent death might feel.


I do these on the bottom step of our stairs.  Its been over 12 months since I went up the stairs.  You lead with one leg for, in my case 6 ups and downs, then the other 6 ups and downs leading with the other leg.  After which I find 2 games of solitaire is required.

Pole raises.


You can ignore that image.  SIT DOWN and raise a walking stick with a weight wrapped round it lift up high and back down, which I can do 21 times , how about that, 21 times.  I should point out to remember breathe in then lift the pole as you breathe out.  Otherwise it doesnt work in exercising your lungs - it kills you.  Well you won't do more than one lift.....


Sit to stand .  Arms crossed, to stop you cheating and pushing yourself up.  Also what they do not tell you is make sure the chair is wedged up against something otherwise you will shoot across the room and kill yourself.  Then you stand.  And  repeat.  I can do this 16 times.  Again remember to breathe in then out as you stand.  Otherwise, thats right, you will probably be dead.

Marching on the spot.  I am sure you dont need an illustration. But here is one anyway. Swinging arms, knees high, I am surprisingly good at this and can do 20 times, which is actually 40 steps as you can only record both legs marching.  Confused?  Yes so am I.  Though why I become totally breathless at 6 steps to the loo is beyond me, presumably I forget to take a deep breath.


There you go - every other day.  

I did a few courses of pulmonary physio.  But as we Brits like to think oh its only a cold I can do it and then infect most of the class with chest infections,,,, once I finally completed a course - and got cards of congratulations from the physios - I refused to return.  So now I do it on my own and just have to report in, which I did today.

Quick look at the sea.  



Not a surfer in sight.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

At least you still have a sense of humour :)) xx

kjsutcliffe said...

Apart from a few of your exercises which are more arm related, most of those I had to do after surgery on my knee - my killer two were the step ups (it was the return down which was excruciating) and the standing from seated with crossed arms - gah! fortunately the physios signed me off to continue at home - something to do with needing the space for folk with greater need....

crafty cat corner said...

Hi Jill
I took on board your advice on exercise for Tom and when we have everything sorted we will look into it.
Briony
x

justjill said...

Briony, the course is good not just for the exercises but the info you get on nutrition, breathing, getting the gunge up. I wouldnt be still here if I had not done the course.