Friday 21 December 2012

Always look on the bright side of .....

Blogging - why do we do it?

I know this question has been asked before.

I like to write.  I love words.  I like to use them to relate happenings.  Present, past and sometimes plans for the future. Most of all I want to make my readers smile.   For some of us that is what blogging is.


I kept a diary, every day, from the age of ten till I was in my late thirties.  As I was the only reader all my feelings went down in ink and it did not matter what I said.  There is a box in the garage full of my diaries.  I aim to burn them.  

My blog does not relate the bad things, the nasty things in life, because that is what I choose, or otherwise, to publish.  My diaries were/are private.  Blogging, for me, is showing the light side of my life and seeing laughter and joy in what I am involved in.  It cheers me to put that slant on my life and I hope it cheers others.

Other bloggers preach.  A way of life. (I have practised frugality most of my life due to necessity, but even then I laughed about it.)

Many bloggers show us beautiful things they have created.  (Mine, not so beautiful, but what the hell. They are created.)

Inspire us. (Will natures creations do?)

Some just make us feel guilty. (Laughing about stuff others feel very seriously about - sorry.)

But we have the choice, we can read the blogs, or we choose not to.

We encourage comments.  Sometimes we get comments that are hurtful, spiteful, or just what we did not want to hear.  But then, we have the delete button do we not.

Once you decide to write a blog you have to take all this on board.  And more.....

I was sitting in a roomful of people recently and was reprimanded loudly and publicly for something I had written in one of my blogs. 
(Half the room dissolved into laughter on hearing what I had written.)  

This was by someone who actually stated she had never read my blog!  Two, or three haven't spoken to me since, and made life in that area so particularly uncomfortable and unpleasant .  Just wish I had had a delete button!

For some time I wondered what on earth I was doing trying to entertain, inform, tell the world about all the wonderful people I mix with (well nearly all); the vibrancy of people who many of the younger generation would be amazed at, in their volunteering, crafting, artistic effort, recycling total rubbish into beautiful pieces of art and so on.  Should I just go back into a hole and write, dear diary, and not share the wonderful things and people around me?  Being told off like a naughty child in the classroom shook me to the core.  Me being me, I made a joke about it...... but felt like jelly.  


So beware fellow bloggers.  That sense of humour could be the death of you.

But then, Always look on the bright side of death. (Please god I havent upset anybody.)









10 comments:

Terra said...

I am a very new blog friend of yours, and like your blog. I too write about upbeat things and encouragement since there is plenty of darkness all around us. There is even more light too. Keep on with your humor and I like the Santa and reindeer flying high above Scotland in your photo. Merry Christmas from California.

Mum said...

Nope, not upset me at all. I enjoy sharing your love of life and laughter.
Love from Mum (cup half full and all that!)
xx

Anonymous said...

Jill, please please do not go back to writing just to yourself! My own opinion, as a pretty long-standing regular reader, is that you have a great sense of humour AND you are always conscious of the fact that people are reading your blog. Your blog is not written like a diary, you know you have an audience, and I really like that. You do make an effort not to offend anyone, e.g. "vegetarians look away now" and that kind of thing.

Where any of us bloggers draws the line is always a judgement call and I say, as long as you are not wilfully hurtful or disregarding of others, you have a right to your point of view and your jokes. Your readers are free to disagree. We will probably all "upset" someone from time to time, even with the best will. But I don't think that small risk is worth hiding your light under a bushel.

Lastly, I find it upsetting that a person would humiliate you publically about something you wrote on your blog, or about anything else! To my mind, mocking someone in front of a group of people has nothing to do with blogging per se. Certainly this kind of thing happened before blogs existed. It's possible that the person didn't intend harm but sincerely felt she was doing a public service - but that's another debate!

If this person wants to engage in some kind of dialogue with you, as opposed to public scolding, she has the option to read your blog and then use the comments box.

So please don't deprive us of your blog! x

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill

Apart from your art work and the lovely photos the thing I like most of all about your blog, is your humour and witty way of looking at life. Keep it up. Whoever commented so publicly ,in an unkind way, is just plain rude and doing so really says more about them than you.
I hope you keep going with your blog. I have whittled down the number of blogs I read and consider yourself honoured that yours is one of the first ones I turn to every evening.

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Best wishes
Frances SW

beverley said...

Oh Jill

Must have been awful for you, however, I love reading your blog which we found by accident almost 2 years ago now. (yes, can you believe it, almost 2 years).. I have learnt so much about the area that I live in and relay this on to our guests. Keep on blogging!!x

BadPenny said...

I thought for a moment this was your swan song & I would have been very sad. Yours is among a few Blogs I check every day & I've loved reading about the history around you & the lighthouse shop, cafe & craft activities to which you give up so much time. The PD's photographs are a joy and your shed & all it's uses amuses me !

I upset a friend through a blog post. It was never intended to hurt only amuse but it didn't and I have had to live with the consequences.

I've read Blogs which are quite cynical & a bit close to the bone.

Yours is entertaining & I love your wit. I'm sure we'd get on in the real world but for now I shall continue to know you here in this unique place we have created.

rusty duck said...

Oh Jill, don't go back into a hole please, I have only just found you! And it was your humour and positive approach to life that drew me to your blog in the first place.

The person who criticised you surely had no right to do so having not even read what you had actually said. If they had bothered to read it, they would have also seen the warmth and care for the community and places around you that is so apparent in what you write.

BadPenny said...

oops that should have been the DP and I hadn't even had a glass of red !

Anonymous said...

Well you've only told us half a tale! What had you written that so offended?

Grammy Braxton said...

I've only just started following your blog an have gone back several months to read your posts. I love your sense of humor and that fact that you don't seem to take life so seriously. I am that way myself and I write to please me and to have a conversation with all the lovely bloggers out there. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with anything like this yet but having read this post, I will be prepared. Please don't go away. Your blog is loved by many and we need you in our lives.

Hugs,
Sharon