Wednesday 22 January 2020

Exhausted but a successful day.

The DP did the driving.  We got to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary with 40 minutes left to negotiate the corridors to the Clinic.  Once there I had the thing on the finger which measures oxygen.  86 it said.  Sat for a while and there was no improvement.  I then had attempts at extricating blood from a vein.  Three goes....before some was got.  Whisked off to be tested.

In the meantime I was given oxygen.

A similar cylinder was placed in the chariot and I was connected with tubes up my nostrils.   The DP was amazed at how quickly my sats went up.  In half a minute of my breathing in the sats went up.  We then went for a walk, me and the physio, up the corridors.  Well what a difference.  Like I used to be!!!  

When the blood test came back it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be.  For me that bit was a plus as it means I don't have to be connected for 15 hours and only need the oxygen when I am being active.  Walking on the Prom.  Walking anywhere.  

Had I been bad enough to need it for 15 hours I would not have been able to be near a wood burning stove.  But I just have to sit for 2o minutes having switched the oxygen off and I no longer have an oxygen aura which could ignite.  Then fire is fine.  

Some strange things - no oil based moisturising cream, lipstick, make up as with the oxygen one can have combustion!

A lot to think about.  Oxygen will be delivered in a few days.  This is a tank which is plugged in and extricates oxygen from the air. The cylinder I take out is filled from the tank.

The Fire Brigade are notified, they will probably come round and check smoke alarms etc.  We have to tell house and car insurers.  Also electric suppliers as I become a prioritised person when a power cut.

A lot to take in.  But lots of support.  Shattered.  But nice to know I was right!

13 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

So relieved for you! It's a whole new learning curve but what a difference it will make for you when you are out walking. I didn't realize you could go up in a puff of smoke if you put lippy on!!

Jules said...

A few precautions to consider but it should make such a difference. And yes, you were right :)

Marjorie said...

Wonderful news Jill. I am so happy for you.

vic said...

This is wonderful news. I'm so happy for you. This will make everything so much easier for you and the DP too. Hurrah!

terry said...

I am so relieved and hope you can see the difference soon.

kjsutcliffe said...

Nice one Jill, yes a few (unusual) alterations to your lifestyle but they seem easily achievable and gives you so much more in return!
Here is to promenading here and back on the prom!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Hope you can soon sort out the precautions and get used to it all so you can go for longer walks up the prom.

janipi said...

This is brilliant news. I didn’t know about the fire risk. I often see a lady walking around here with her little canister. She seems very active and healthy.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

Yeah! Great result.

Ellen D. said...

You knew it would help and I am so glad it did! Looking forward to more pics from the Prom! Good for you!

Joyce F said...

Soon you will feel so much better! Glad it worked out that you will get oxygen!

Mary said...

I was flying back home over the Pond yesterday (foggy drizzle in London, too), but thinking of you, knowing you would be seeing the oxygen people. So happy for you to get some relief and a chance to breathe a bit easier. Such great news.

Maria said...

I'm so happy for you. I read you everyday and I hope you get better and we can enjoy your lovely photos. Iam really really happy for you.

Carolina (Portugal)